“Locally Owned Since 1903”. While this is our motto, it is also a source of great pride and importance. With many funeral homes being owned and operated by large corporations, the loss of community attachment is noticable.
In 1903, Charles Van Marter first opened a shoemaker shop and undertaking service in the western silver mining town of Chloride, which at the time was the county seat of Mohave County. The mortuary was later relocated to Kingman in 1921 where the building housed the mortuary, shoemaker and music store business.
The CR Van Marter Mortuary became Clinkenbeard-Van Marter Mortuary and later Van Marter-Hale Mortuary. In 1980, the Van Marter-Hale Mortuary was purchased by Frank Sutton and David Beller and become Beller-Sutton Mortuary. Approximately three years later, Frank become sole proprietor and it become Sutton Memorial Funeral Home and Crematory and has remained family-owned since.
We feature a chapel which can seat approximately 150 people and two on-site crematories.